North Carolina Workers Compensation Law.

North Carolina , like most states, requires that employers carry insurance or certify that they are self-insured for injuries to employees while the employees are “on-the-job.”
If you are injured while working:

  • Immediately report the injury to your employer; the law requires notice to the employer.
  • If your injury requires medical treatment, your employer’s insurance carrier is responsible for the medical expenses;
  • If your injury disables you for more than seven days, you are entitled to receive total temporary disability benefits;
  • If your injury causes you a permanent disability to any part of your body, you are entitled to receive compensation for that disability;
  • You may have a right to a second medical opinion;
  • You do have rights to receive your disability payments on a timely, regular schedule;
  • If you’re injured but your employer won’t provide the compensation you believe you are entitled to, you have a right to a hearing before an independent deputy commissioner of the North Carolina Industrial Commission;
  • You are not required to show that your injury occurred as the result of your employer’s or anyone else’s negligence;
  • You are not entitled to sue your employer for pain and suffering.

Can my employer terminate me after I file a workers’ compensation claim?

An employer cannot terminate you BECAUSE you filed a workers’ compensation claim. Under North Carolina’s Retaliation in Employment Discrimination Act (REDA), an employer may not discriminate or take any retaliatory action against an employee because the employee has exercised his or her rights under the Workers’ Compensation law.

However, an employer who does not have work for the employee within the employee’s physical limitations, may decide to terminate the injured worker and let the employee receive disability benefits instead.

If you believe that your employer terminated you, or retaliated against you in some other way, because you filed the workers’ compensation claim, you have the right to file a written complaint with the Commissioner of Labor within 180 days of the act of retaliation.


“The Leon Law Firm is awesome. Mrs. Leon is a true professional that achieved a decisive victory in my case. She is a superb attorney. I highly recommend the Leon Law Firm to anyone seeking legal counsel in the areas of her expertise. It was a pleasure to work with Mrs. Leon.”
“Mary-Ann took a case in which the negative results would have devastated me and my family. She worked thru all of the facts and was very knowledgeable in what she was doing and was a ‘kitten’ when needed and a ‘lioness’ to be dealt with when needed. Excellent results.”
“Dr. Leon was extremely helpful, caring, and fair during both of my lawsuits. She is great at her profession and a pleasure to work with. I will use her again if another opportunity arises and would recommend her services to anyone I know. I experienced excellent results with her as my lawyer.” SRB
“A friend of mine recommended me to this firm. Miss Leon was easy to speak with and when I thought I had no hope of fighting the company I use to work for in drawing unemployment benefits, Leon Law Firm won my case and I was awarded my benefits.” DAP
“Facing an EEO case against the federal government. Met with Dr. Leon. Very Professional and Fair Priced. Took my case, communicated with the federal agency. I received the promotion due to the professional actions of Dr. Leon.”
Newport NC Resident.
“Mrs. Leon, Thank-you for applying your legal expertise to my employment rights case. I trust that without your legal history, the outcome of my situation would have been negative. You made me feel that I was not alone!”
“Leon Law firm was always available and very prompt in addressing my concerns and questions. I strongly recommend this firm to anyone seeing expert legal advice and representation.”
Greenville Resident

The Leon Law Firm Proudly serves Greenville, Pitt County, and all of Eastern North Carolina.